There are over 50 million people with disabilities– about 20 percent of the population– living in America. They are roughly twice as likely as the general population to live below the poverty line. In September 2012, 20.1 percent of people with disabilities were in the labor force, but a much larger percentage of people without disabilities are in the labor force. Across the board, people with disabilities continue to face substandard experiences and outcomes in employment, education, housing, transportation, and health care because of inaccessible and inadequately-funded state and federal programs, outdated public policies and discrimination due to persistent fears, myths, and stereotypes surrounding disability.
Access to good jobs, health care, education, training and social services are critical for people with disabilities to succeed. Advocates for people with disabilities work to ensure that the entire scope of federal services and programs – including Medicaid, the Workforce Investment Act, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, elementary and secondary public education, and other programs and social services are accessible and appropriate to people with disabilities.
For more information on this issue, visit CHN’s Public Policy Priorities, 2015-2016.
Consortium for Citizens with Disabilities
National Disability Rights Network
Parents’ Action for Children
The Arc UCP Public Policy Collaboration
The National Council on Independent Living
United Cerebral Palsy
World Institute on Disability
- February 25, 2015NWLC: Disability Insurance Is Vital to Women’s Economic Security
- February 24, 2015CBPP: Disability Insurance- An Essential Part of Social Security
Policy Analyses and Research
- January 8, 2015CBPP: Mapping Disability Receipt
- October 24, 2013Center on Budget and Policy Priorities: November 1 SNAP Cuts Will Affect Millions of Children, Seniors, and People With Disabilities
Human Needs Report
- URGENT ACTION: 3 ways to tell Congress to #StopTheCuts
- Resources from Around the Coalition: Poverty, Wage Gap, Economic Growth and More
- Congress is days away from a government shutdown. Tell them to get to work.
- Cutting Poverty in Half Will Take a Quarter Century at This Rate
- Nuns on the Bus – Bridging the Divides and Transforming Politics
Deborah Weinstein in the News
- Debbie Weinstein in the Huffington Post: What Portion of Our Collective Wealth Are We Willing to Invest So People Can Succeed?
- Debbie Weinstein in The Hill: How to slam the brakes on economic growth and the door on opportunity
Sign up now to get timely updates on what’s moving in Congress and other human needs issues.