What CHN Does For Human Needs
Since 1981, CHN has played a vital role in bringing human needs organizations together to expand and defend federal investments in health care, income assistance, education and training, housing, and other services for young and old.
What CHN Can Do For You
Knowledge is power, and CHN is a reliable source of essential information, presented in a straightforward manner, to enable advocates to be more effective.
Joining CHN gives your organization the chance to share its views and seek active support from a growing network of advocates. It means you will have timely access to information you need, from key policy issues to nationally coordinated activities that will strengthen your work. CHN helps its members to communicate more persuasively – with each other, with the media, and with policy makers.
The Coalition on Human Needs is an alliance of national organizations working together to promote federal policies to address the needs of people with low-incomes and other vulnerable populations. The Coalition’s members include service providers, policy experts, religious, labor, and civil rights organizations, and other advocates concerned with the well-being of people with low incomes, including children, women, seniors, and people with disabilities.
CHN was born in a time of crisis. In 1981, President Reagan’s policies posed a threat to human needs programs. Since then, CHN has brought advocates together both to defend against threats and to seize opportunities for investments in services. CHN has helped to prevent cuts and restrictions to basic needs programs, and we convened successful efforts to increase low-income programs after the Great Recession. CHN responds to threats by convening the human needs communities, sharing research, hosting webinars, activating our members, and amplifying our collective voice. We know we are stronger when we are united.
Knowledge is power, and CHN is a reliable, nonpartisan source of essential information, presented in a straightforward manner, to enable advocates to be more effective. When you join CHN, you join a diverse family of 100-plus like-minded organizations. You’ll learn, you’ll network, you’ll grow stronger – and your voice will be louder and far-reaching. CHN helps its members communicate more persuasively – with each other, with the media, and with policymakers.
Information and Analysis
- Electronic subscription to the Human Needs Report – CHN’s legislative newsletter, published regularly when Congress is in session
- Legislative analyses and concise overviews of specific anti-poverty policies, programs, and legislation
- Training about the federal budget process and effective communication
- Notification of all CHN events and meetings
- Subscription to CHN email lists, which include:
- Congressional and Administration updates
- Actions alerts from CHN and its member organizations
- Distribution of CHN and member-produced policy analyses, special reports, and research.
- Ability to disseminate your organization’s action alerts, reports, announcements, and letters seeking organizational signers on CHN email lists (Members Only)
- Posting your organization’s research and reports on the CHN website – with links directly to your organization’s website (Members and key resource documents)
- Access to Voices for Human Needs, CHN’s lively and informative blog. When appropriate, we will cross-post your group’s posts to our blog.
- Event announcements from your organization on CHN’s website and electronic calendar (Members Only)
- Invitations to CHN-organized Capitol Hill visits and briefings
- Invitations to Friday Advocates Meeting, which takes place every two weeks when Congress is in session
- Meetings are open to all human needs organizations but Members will be asked as first priority
- Eligibility to serve on CHN’s Board of Directors to shape CHN policies (Members Only)
- Job announcement listings for your organization on the CHN website (Members Only)
About CHN (PDF)
View our Benefits of Membership (PDF)